Autism Spectrum


leaving school and leading your own life

Funding support


Most young people are not able to support themselves fully straight after leaving school.

This is as true for people with autism as for any other young person.

There are a range of financial supports available for young people with autism and their carers too.


NDIS – please read out full section here


Disability Support Pension

Young people aged 16 and over, who have a significant disability and who are not able to work for more than 15 hours a week are able to apply for the DSP.

Click here to read Human Services website page.

A series of videos are a very useful way to learn about the application process:

The first video explains clearly who can claim Disability Support Pension

Are you eligible for Disability Support Pension?

The next video explains the claim process.

How do I claim for Disability Support Pension?

There’s a video about the medical evidence needed here:

Providing Medical Evidence for Disability Support Pension

You may be referred for a Job Capacity Assessment, a video explains that too.

The Job Capacity Assessment

You can learn more about what happens after your application has been assessed

Possible outcomes of a Disability Support Pension

Bec – A Disability Champion

There’s a video on the Human Services video channel about a girl called Bec who has ASD and who works part time whilst claiming DSP.


 Pensioner Concession Card

If you receive the Carers Allowance or your child receives the DSP, you can apply for a Pensioner Concession Card.

This allows for reduced fares on public transport, more refunds for medical expenses through the Medicare Safety Net, reductions in property and water rates and more.  

See the Department of Human Services website here.




If your family is of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Island descent and your child is not receiving DSP and is studying or taking part in a full-time apprenticeship, you may be eligible for ABSTUDY.

See the Department of Human Services website page here.


Youth Allowance

If your child is not receiving DSP and is looking for work or studying, he or she may be eligible for Youth Allowance.

For young people who are under 22 and dependent on their parents, there is an income and assets test on the parents’ income.

The rules on Youth Allowance can be complex. Visit your local Centrelink or read more on the Department of Human Services website here.


Carer Allowance

Carer Allowance is paid to carers fortnightly and covers any carer who provides additional daily care for a person aged 16 years or over who has a disability, medical condition, or who is frail aged.

When your child turns 16, you have to re-apply for Carer Allowance.

Read more on the Human Services website here.

You can also contact our local Centrelink office to ask more.


Mobility Allowance

Young people who are not able to use public transport without substantial assistance, and are engaging in activities such as studying, seeking work or doing voluntary work, may be eligible for Mobility Allowance.

You can read about the eligibility and how to apply at the Department of Human Services website here.


Youth Disability Supplement

Young people who are under 21 and receiving DSP  get Youth Disability Supplement as part of that payment.

Young people aged under 22 and claiming Youth Allowance or ABSTUDY (but not DSP) may be eligible for Youth Disability Payment.

Discuss this with Centrelink. For more information look at the Department of Human Services website page here.


Pension Education Supplement

Young people who are receiving DSP and studying full or part time you may be eligible for this payment.

Eligibility criteria and information on how to apply can be found on the Department of Human Services website here.


Taxi Transport Subsidy Scheme (TTSS)

This scheme allows people to travel in a taxi at half fare up to a maximum subsidy of $30 per trip. This means young people still need to pay half the cost of a journey.

The TTSS is aimed at people who cannot access public transport because of a qualifying severe and permanent disability.

Applications include a section from your doctor and are then assessed by an independent medical assessor.

Read more on the NSW Department of Transport website here.


Travel Concession Card

Young people who receive the DSP also receive a Pensioner Concession Card.  

This allows travel for half fare on buses, trains, light rail and ferries. Read more on the Transport NSW website:

Read more about the Pensioner Concession Card here.


NSW Companion Card

If your son or daughter needs a carer to accompany them to events and places, you can apply for a Companion Card.

Using the card, the carer does not need to pay for entry at venues which support the Companion Card program.

A list of venues and events can be found on the website, as can information on how to apply.

Visit the website here  or call 1800 893 044


Roads And Maritime Concessions

Young people who hold a Pensioner Concession Card are exempt from payment of many fees for things like: driving tests, registration and motor vehicle tax.

Read more at the RMS website here.


My Choice Matters Run Projects

Run Projects was a program that gave people with disability the opportunity to apply for grants of up to $5000 to do a project of their choice.

The aim was for people with disability to get more Choice, Voice and Control in their lives by learning a new skill or trying something new. Run Projects also aimed to share recipients learning with others. You can read about some of the projects here.



You and your family can access a range of respite options that provide positive and meaningful experiences for your child, such as recreation and social activities. At the same time as your family can have a planned short term, time limited breaks from their usual care-giving role.

To access local services in NSW call:

  1. Your local ADHC Information, referral and intake line. Find your local district’s telephone number on this webpage.
  2. Call your local Commonwealth Respite and Carelink Centre. There is a central number to call initially : 1800 052 222
  3. Carers NSW has a phoneline 1800 242 636 and website and can offer advice on respite as well as carer support and counselling.


Individual Accommodation Support Packages

ADHC also funds Individual Accommodation Support Packages (IASP)

Individual Accommodation Support Package Guidelines are here.

IASP funding can be used to support your young person to continue to live in the family home.

Contact your ADHC support worker to ask more about this.